Monday 4 February 2013

Life


Read Ecclesiastes chapter 1
“Meaningless! Meaningless!”
 Says the Teacher
“Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaning less....
I have seen all the things that are done under the sun;
 all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind. 
        What is twisted cannot be straightened; what is lacking cannot be counted. thought to myself, “Look, I have grown and increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge.” Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind.” 
                                                                                                                    Ecclesiastes 1:1,14-17
Carl Sagan looked at the above picture taken from the Voyager space craft over six trillion miles from earth and said,
“Look again at that dot. That’s here. That’s home. That’s us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor, and explorer, every teacher of moral, every corrupt politician, every ‘superstar’ every ‘supreme leader’ every saint and sinner in history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam”
I have Bi-polar affective disorder and when I get depressed I look at that picture and sometimes I believe what Solomon wrote. in Ecclesiastes one is right Yet I know he’s not right. That all there is, is this life, and everything in it is meaningless.
I cannot believe even though we are as Sagan put it “on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam’, there is not more to life.
Albert Einstein wrote, “Human beings vegetables or cosmic dust. We all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible player.
I think he was close to the answer.
            The late Martin Luther King Jr. Said,
“We thank thee for thy Church, founded upon thy Word, that challenges us to do more than sing and pray, but go out and work as though the very answer to our prayers depended on us and not upon thee.
Then, finally, help us to realize that man was created to shine like stars and live on through all eternity.”
I believe Martin Luther King jr. was right. We are eternal beings. We are destined to live on throughout eternity. The question is where will you spend eternity?
Think about it.

No comments: