Sunday 24 March 2013

Jehovah Jirah



Read Psalm 23
The LORD is my shepherd 
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down 
in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters, 
He restores my soul;
 He leads me in the paths of righteousness
 For His name’s sake.
Yes, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
 For You are with me;
 Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
 My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me 
All the days of my life.
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD Forever.
                                                                                                   Psalms 23:1-6
This is perhaps the best known psalm and for the Christian it says it all.
It has been said, correctly, that we either accept Christ for who He claimed to be,
the Son of God, God incarnate.  Or we reject Him as a fraud.  There is no middle ground, as much as some people would like to think there is.
If we accept Him as LORD of our life, here is a promise:
The LORD is my shepherd 
I shall not want.
I think when people here, particularly in the west, look at that phrase they assume God will give them everything they want.
We, here in the west, and particularly in North America equate want with excess.  “I want a million dollars: “I want a new car every year”, when what God is saying is, I will meet your needs, essential needs food, and shelter.
There is no record in Scripture of millionaire apostles, although, there were those within the early church who were wealthy and used that wealth for the glory of God.
The apostles accepted God’s provision, no matter what it was.  They gave their lives to God completely, and in some cases, found the roof over their heads was a jail cell.
The apostles were not focussed on their physical condition, which would have taken them away from the spreading of the Gospel.  Instead, they focussed on what God wanted for them in their lives.  As a result, even in a jail cell, they could rejoice in God.
Something to think about:
He makes me to lie down 
in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters, 
He restores my soul;
If we are truly trusting God, and letting Him lead our lives, we will find those green pastures in places we never dreamed of.
We will find He will restore our soul, even in the worst of conditions.

No comments: