Tuesday 25 June 2013

Be Careful Don't Cherry Pick

 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.  
For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”
                                                                                 Matthew 7:1,2 the words of Jesus.

Where do we draw the line when following the laws of the Old Testament? After all Jesus came to give us a new covenant. The writer of Hebrews saying,
“They(the priests)  serve at a sanctuary that is a copy and shadow of what is in heaven. This is why Moses was warned when he was about to build the tabernacle: “See to it that you make everything according to the pattern shown you on the mountain.”  
But the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, and it is founded on better promises.” 
                                                                                             Hebrews 8:5,6
When I talk with members of the gay and lesbian community about Christ. They at times until they get to know me become defensive. And with just cause.
They see well meaning Christians constantly putting them down. Pointing out that they have a “special sin”.
The following is something that was passed on to me. It’s obviously sarcastic but it points out the slippery slope we can get on if we start cherry picking old Testament laws.

“Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstances. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident:

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him or her that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to follow them.

(a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

(b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
(c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

(d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

(e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on Sunday (the Sabbath). In the book of Exodus verse 35:2 it clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

(f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't know. Can you settle this?

(g) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

(h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

(i) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

(j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16). Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14).

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging, and we should do what the bible says.
Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

While the above is very sarcastic it points out to Christians that we must be very careful with regards to old Testament law.
Paul writing to the Galatians states,
"I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!” 
Faith or Observance of the Law 
You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified.  
I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard?  
Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?  
Have you suffered so much for nothing—if it really was for nothing?  
Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard? 
Consider Abraham: “He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”  
Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham.  
The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.”  
So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith. 
All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”  
Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, “The righteous will live by faith.”  
The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, “The man who does these things will live by them.”  
Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.”  
He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.” 
                                                                                         Galations 2:21- 3:14
The bottom line in all of this is that there is no grater or lesser sin. Moreover we cannot choose what sins are applicable in the twenty-first century.
Matthew notes, 
“Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” 
                                                                                                  Matthew 28:18-20.
We are not called to judge anyone or to say for that matter what sin is.
It is the Holy Spirits job to convict men of their sins. It’s that simple. We are to present the Gospel of Faith.
Paul writing to the Ephesians states,
“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—  not by works, so that no one can boast.  
For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” 
                                   Ephesians 2:8-10
This is the lot of the Christian, to present the Gospel of our Lord and Saviour to a lost and dying world without judging. For only God knows what is inside the persons heart.
Only God knows why we are as we are.
Think about it.

No comments: