Sunday 9 February 2014

The Baptism of Jesus

The Baptism of Jesus

“Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John.  
But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” 
Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented. 
As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him.  
And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” 
                                                                                               Matthew 3:13-17

This is a seminal moment in the life of Jesus. It is the start of his Messianic ministry.
The baptism showed that he was consecrated to God something that was underscored by the decent of the Holy Spirit and a voice from heaven saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
Through baptism Jesus identifies with mankind and although Jesus did not have any need of repentance. He identifies with mankind’s sin and failure and becomes the substitute for our sins.
Dear reader have you let Jesus into your life? Have you confessed your sins to him and let him forgive your sins?
Think about it.

No comments: