Friday 16 May 2014

Mental Health and the Christian My Story

Mental Health and Christians, My Story

I’m writing this because I feel it needs to be written, especially to those in the Christian evangelical, Pentecostal/Charismatic church.
You see I live with Bipolar Affective disorder a very real mental illness.
Over the years I’ve had many things said to me about it from people within the church who perhaps should have known better.
On one occasion I was told “mental illness is not real, people who say they have it need to get themselves together, pull themselves up by their boot straps and get on with life.”
On another occasion I had a man very sincerely tell me Mental illness is demon possession and I need to step down from my position in the church and have the pastor and board pray for me.
How very sad. Is it any wonder people within the church who have mental illness of any kind stay in the closet and shun treatment.
The people that said those harsh words to me fortunately are in the minority. Still especially in the church where one should expect love and understanding when it comes to mental illness there is, more so than in the secular world great stigma placed on people who have it.
They are considered weak morally and emotionally. Nothing could be further from the truth. These people have a very real illness equal to anyone with diabetes or cancer.
Let me tell you my story.
First the definition of Bipolar Affective disorder which is what I have,
“Bipolar disorder is characterized by alternating manic episodes in which the individual feels abnormally euphoric, optimistic, and energetic and depressive periods in which the individual feels sad, hopeless, guilty, and sometimes suicidal. Manic or depressive periods may last for days, weeks, or months and run the spectrum from mild to severe. These episodes may be separated by periods of emotional stability in which the individual functions normally.”
For me my journey started as I headed home from work. I’d been working long hours and travelling over a hundred k one way to work. When suddenly without waring a fear of dread welled up inside of me, tears filled my eyes and I was forced to pull over to the side of the road.
When I gained enough of my equilibrium to go down to the next rest stop where I pulled into a far corner of the parking lot and cried for half an hour.
My doctor told me I was stressed out and to take time off work. Which I did going back just before Christmas.
Things went well then one night on my way to work in a snow storm, my car had spun out and my moods went out of control.
On that occasion my fathers house being nearest I’d pulled in and called in to work sick.
On that day my world shattered. Life would never be the same.
I went back to see my doctor the next day and it was then he suggested I see my first psychiatrist.
At the time I had a preconceived idea of psychiatrist that looked a lot like which doctors who prescribed happy pills.
Still I trusted my doctor and began fighting the dragon in my head.
My first psychiatrist was a strong believer in trying to change things by changing lifestyle and eating habits. But after a while he diagnosed me with Bipolar affective disorder and placed me on a low dose of Lithium the gold standard at the time.
Unfortunately he passed away as a result of cancer before I was stabilized and my care went briefly back to my family doctor. Who eventually got me in with my second Psychiatrist.
He agreed with the Bipolar diagnosis and started me on a trial and error treatment trying various combination of drugs. (There is no definitive test at this time for Bipolar, no single drug treatment that works for every one. Thus the need to try various combinations)
  Some worked briefly others had  side effects I couldn’t handle.
I at one point began to believe the words of William, Wordsworth who said
“We poets in our youth begin in gladness: but therefore come in the end to despondency and madness”
My second Psychiatrist got me reasonably stabilised then retired my treatment going back to my family doctor then to my current psychiatrist. An excellent doctor well versed in her pharmacology.
Someone who had worked with to help me through some very hard times.
That’s the key finding a good Psychologist that works with you and understands you.
Bipolar is like being in a storm a massive storm that billows all around you.
 All you can do at times is to try and out run it but you never seem to be able too.
Another way to describe it is imagine you’re in a snow globe,  simultaneously you’re holding the snow globe and inside it.
You’re shaking it  in causing the storm rage all around you.
Intellectually you know you’re shaking it causing the storm but you’re powerless to stop it. So you continue with that storm pounding to the very roots of your inner psyche.
Another way of putting it is imagine your in a high powered sports car,  you’re flying down the road with the wind whipping your hair. The adrenaline rush is fantastic.
Then all of a sudden you stop and jump into a pool of mud up to your neck and just wallow their until you think you can’t take it any more.
Then without warning the cycle repeats.
For me and I think even for the processionals there are a lot of things that are not understood.  Goblins if you will in your mind.
Then in my case there’s the anxiety.  Anxiety is faceless androids that wander through your mind causing irrational fear. Trying to control your life.
But there is hope. For me, almost without me realizing it I put together a team consisting of my psychiatrist, my family doctor, my pastor and church family and equally important my wife and family.
All of whom are there for me when I need them.
My faith means a lot to me and I am convinced that it has saved me on many occasion from doing something stupid, because suicide at times has lurked in the back of my mind.
Jesus said,
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” 
                                         Matthew 11:28-30.
That statement is very true. In Christ I have found rest for my soul even I time of trouble.
Today I am on a magnificent journey. I still have some very bad days. But I’ve learned to live with the dragon because there is no cure at this time for the two headed dragon, that is Bipolar Affective disorder. You must learn to live with it and control it.
To day I can for the most part fully function. But I take things one day sometimes one moment at a time.

Reinhold Niebuhr once wrote,
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time...

The key for me is not just the successful cocktail of medications I’m on which is absolutely necessary. But it’s also my faith.
Through all the highs and lows I’ve gone through with this illness I firmly believe God has been there for me giving me reassurance and hope in what at times has been a very darkened world.
To the Christian who is reading this, if you recognize the symptoms above  in your life talk to a health care professional. It never hurts.
In Canada all provincial health care systems cover Psychiatrist.
In Canada you can also go speak to the Canadian Mental Health association who can steer you in the right direction if you have any doubts.
Please remember Mental Illness as real as diabetes or cancer. Don’t try to go it alone.
There is help. There is hope.

No comments: