Friday 12 December 2014

I Believe

I Believe

“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: 
a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, 
a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, 
a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, 
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, 
a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, 
a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, 
a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.” 
                                                                               Ecclesiastes 3:2-8
The writer of Ecclesiastes is right. There is a time for everything. You don’t have to be a wise man to necessarily realize this. The writer is just stating the obvious. There is a time and a season for everything.
In my sixty years on this earth I have seen and experienced a lot. Everything from war, to the death of loved ones, to serious illnesses of both my wife and myself.
I have felt the joy of the birth of my children and been amazed as they grew to manhood going on to serve their Lord and Saviour.
I have rejoiced and danced at the wedding of my son. Praising God for the love he and his wife have for each other.
And through it all I am amazed at the Love God has shown to both me and my family.
In our life we have had more than our share of tragedy, the near death of one of my sons,  A serious injuries to another that could have crippled him for life. 
Both my wife and I almost dying in separate incidents just months apart. A diagnosis of Bipolar disorder that did change my life forever. Even a house fire that took all our earthly possessions.
Yet through it all I can truly praise God. Even when we lost our house, on which we had no insurance, we never went homeless. There was one waiting for us, in a better location no less.
God is truly good.
After the loss of our house we were also able to attend a wonderful bible based evangelical church. A family place in which we could bring up our children.
It was a place my wife and now our sons can serve the Lord. And that for my family and I that is important.
The events of my life have for me proven there is a loving God who cares for the individual. Who cares for those love him.
I know there are many out there that would deny God exists but I cannot believe this. I believe the word of the apostle John who wrote,
"Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—  children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God". 
                         John 1:12,13.
I believe the writer of the Apostles creed who wrote,
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
      who was conceived by the Holy Spirit
      and born of the virgin Mary.
      He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
      was crucified, died, and was buried;
      he descended to hell.
      The third day he rose again from the dead.
      He ascended to heaven
      and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty.
      From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
      the holy catholic* church,
      the communion of saints,
      the forgiveness of sins,
      the resurrection of the body,
      and the life everlasting. Amen.
(*that is, the true Christian church of all times and all places)
I believe the writer of Ecclesiastes was right when he said,
“Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole  duty  of man. 
For God will bring every deed into judgement, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.”
   Ecclesiastes 12:13,14
For me there is no debate. What you the reader believes is entirely up to you. It is my prayer that you at least examine the Bible and make up your own mind. Still ultimately belief in God is an act of faith.
Think about it

No comments: