Sunday 15 February 2015

The greatest commandment

The greatest commandment,

Jesus when asked,
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 
Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’  
This is the first and greatest commandment.  
And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’  
All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” 
                                                                           Matthew 22:37-40
Jesus also said,
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’  
But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,  
that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.  
If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?”  
      Matthew 5:43-46.
As Christians we are called to love the world to follow the example of God. Jesus himself noting,
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."
John 3:16,17.
The apostle Paul defined what Christian love, what true love is all about saying,
“Love is patient, love is kind.
 It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, 
it is not easily angered, it 
keeps no record of wrongs. 
Love does not delight in evil 
but rejoices with the truth.  
It always protects, always trusts,
 always hopes, always perseveres. 
Love never fails....
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. 
But the greatest of these is love.”  
                                                                        1 Corinthians 13:4-8a,13
When I was a teenager before I came to know Christ as my Lord and Saviour I watched a movie called Goodby Mr. Chips the theme tune of the movie had words that have resounded in my mind to this day.
The song is called “In the morning of my life” it’s words are,
In the Morning of My Life

In the morning of my life
I will look to the Sunrise
At a moment in my life 
When the world is new.

And the Question
I shall ask only God can answer.
Will I be brave and strong and true,
Will I fill the world with love my whole life through?
Will I fill the world with love my whole life through?

In the eveniung of my life
I will look to the sunset
At a moment in my life 
When my life is through.

And the question I shall ask only I can answer 
Was I brave and strong and true.
Did I fill the world with love my whole life through?
Did I fill the world with love my whole life through?
                                                           By Leslie Bricusse
                                               From the movie musical Good by Mr chips
Even though I was young the words struck a cord with me. It said to me what I wanted to do with my life. To fill the world with love.
I believe I have done that and will continue to show love to all I come in contact with until the day my Lord calls me home.
When you stand before God will you be able to say, “I filled the world with love”?
Think about it.

No comments: