Wednesday 29 April 2015

Love Honour and Faithfulness

Love, Honour and Faithfulness
Here is a quote from the Talmud that very much applies to Christians. It says,
“When a man appears before the Throne of Judgment, the first question he is asked is not, “Have you believed in God?”  Or “Have you prayed and observed the ritual?  “He is asked: “have you dealt honourably and faithfully in all your dealings with your fellow men?”
                                                                                      The Talmud
As believers we know God exists and that one day we will have to stand before Him and give account for our lives.
While belief in Christ and His saving grace gets us to heaven, we are called to do more, to go the extra mile.
The book of James states,
“Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom,  
because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!
“What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?  
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.  
If one of you says to him, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?  
In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 
But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.”                                                                                                                                                  James 2:12-18.
As Christians we are called to take the Gospel of Christ to the world. However it’s very hard to reach a person if they are in need of food, clothing, housing and healthcare. That’s why we need to do our best to meet the needs of people around us, be they in the city where we live or in distant lands.
I like what Tony Campolo the American Evangelist said,
“These issues are biblical issues: to care for the sick, to feed the hungry, to stand up for the oppressed. I contend that if the evangelical community became more biblical, everything would change.”
         Tony Campolo.
Long before I gave my life to Christ I watched a musical called Goodby Mr Chips the theme song of the movie had these words,
In the Morning of My Life

In the morning of my life
I will look to the Sunrise
At a moment in my life 
When the world is new.

And the Question
I shall ask only God can answer.
Will I be brave and strong and true,
Will I fill the world with love my whole life through?
Will I fill the world with love my whole life through?

In the evening of my life
I will look to the sunset
At a moment in my life 
When my life is through.

And the question I shall ask only I can answer 
Was I brave and strong and true.
Did I fill the world with love my whole life through?
Did I fill the world with love my whole life through?
                                                 From the Musical Good by Mr Chips
 The apostle Paul wrote,
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails.” 
                                                                                            1 Corinthians 13:4-8a.
If we as Christians live up to the standard of love the apostle Paul defines, then we will truly fill the world with love and in doing so bring many people into the kingdom of God.
Please think About it.

No comments: