Saturday 20 February 2016

Christian Life

Christian Life
The Apostle Peter states,
“Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed.  
As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.   But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”
           1Peter 1:13-16.
Is your mind “prepared for action”? Prepared to effectively present the Gospel of Jesus Christ?
Are you self controlled? Is your actions different from the evil desires you had when you were in the world living in ignorance?
When I look at this passage I particularly think of some people I’ve met from the United States calling themselves Christians, these are people I believe are committed to Christ. They are wonderful caring people with high moral standards.
Still these people love saying “I HAVE MY RIGHTS”. “It is my right under the constitution.” “This is a democracy and I have the right to protest against things I disagree with.”
These people are completely right they do have the right to protest in a democracy. That is the great thing about a democracy. We have freedom of speech and action. We have the freedom to worship and do as we see fit under the law.
What many Christians seemed to miss was that the constitution and the bill of rights as good and noble a document they are. They are man’s words.
Just because we have the right to do something doesn’t mean we should do it.
It seems to me the “natural man” in us wants to at time stand up against things. We want to yell at the top of our lungs at a group we disagree with YOU’RE WRONG AND I’M RIGHT!” it’s human nature. Especially it seem for Christians who have strong moral and ethical beliefs.
Still protesting against anything short of standing with others against the restriction of another persons rights I believe is wrong for a Christian.
I believe standing up against another group that is causing no harm and is operating legally is wrong and could possibly be an evil desire. Simply because it is not something Jesus would do.
The apostle Peter says,
“But just as he (Jesus) who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”
The apostle Paul saying,
“If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.  
Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.  
On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink....”
       Romans 12:18-20a
The writer of Hebrews states,
“Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.” 
      Hebrews 12:14.
Question, Are you living a holy life before man and God?
Are you living a life that is in line with the teachings of Jesus.
Please think carefully about it.

No comments: