Monday 3 October 2016

A Decision

A decision
Here is something I place before you to at least provoke you the reader to think.

The Eleven O Clock Parable

It’s eleven o clock. Inside the court house a judge is about to make his ruling. A community, a nation, waits. 
Will the new law be legal? 
Outside the court house men and women with placards chant. 
On one side of the street stand a group of gay men and women. All in favour of the new law.
On the other side of the street separated by a line of police, stand Men and women claiming to be Christian, denouncing the new law.
One man among them screams angrily. “HOMOSEXUALS ARE GOING TO HELL!!!”
Approached by the media he says it again, “homosexuals are going to Hell.” 
From my office window I watch asking myself the question, ‘is this man an Christian?”
Wasn’t it Christ who told us not only to love our neighbour but our enemy also?
Wasn’t it Christ who told us not to judge, lest we be judged likewise? (Matthew 7:1,2)
Didn’t the apostle Paul say “what business is it of mine to judge those outside the church?” (1 Corinthians 5:12)
Did Jesus ever protest against anyone outside his faith? Against the Romans? I think not.
Wasn’t it the Apostle Paul who wrote,
“If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.” Romans 12:18?
Didn’t the writer of Hebrews say,
“Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.” Hebrews 12:14  
Are those protesting against the law living a peace with those around them?
Are they showing Love?
Are they living holy lives?
Can these people who claim to be Christian be effective in reaching the whole world of which a percentage are homosexual?
A question keeps rolling through my mind for which I know the answer, “Can we truly know what is in someone else’s head?
Do we really know why a person is like they are?”
For a moment I stare down at the crowd. All the time asking myself who is on the way to Hell this day, and how can I reach them for my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ?
Turning away from my window I kneel down and pray, “Lord guide me this day. Let me make the right decision on this law. Give me the wisdom to do what is right for those on both sides of the debate on this law.
If you were the judge what would be your decision?
Please think about it.

No comments: