Saturday 4 February 2017

Do Good

Do Good
“Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.”  
Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.  
Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.”  
As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil.  
Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.” James 4:13-17
Here are some points to ponder.
James warns Christians not to leave God out of our plans. It’s good to plan, however we should remember that we do not know what tomorrow brings. All our carefully laid plans can come tumbling down around us in a moment. All of our boasting and bragging coming to nothing.
Boasting and bragging as James says is sin. We should never boast about what we are doing or what we have done.
We must remember we only have, and we only have done what God has allowed us to have and to do. Thus we must be humble about what we do and give God the glory.
Our live as James tells us is but a mist. It is fragile and can end in a moment. We must remember to use our life to do good.
James tells us,
“Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.”
When I was a teenager before I gave my life to Christ, the Musical “Good by Mr. Chips” came out. It’s theme song has stayed with me all these years because the words made sense. The words are,
In the Morning of My Life

“In the morning of my life
I will look to the Sunrise
At a moment in my life 
When the world is new.

And the Question
I shall ask only God can answer.
Will I be brave and strong and true,
Will I fill the world with love my whole life through?
Will I fill the world with love my whole life through?

In the evening of my life
I will look to the sunset
At a moment in my life 
When my life is through.

And the question I shall ask only I can answer 
Was I brave and strong and true.
Did I fill the world with love my whole life through?
Did I fill the world with love my whole life through?”
                                                                     Leslie Bricusse                                                                                                          From the Musical Good by Mr chips  
John Wesley the great Methodist preacher wrote,
Do all the good you can,
By any means you can,
In all the ways you can,
In all the places you can,
At all the times you can,
To all the people you can,
As long as ever you can.
                                                                             John Wesley.
As Christians yes we can plan for the future. However it is imperative that we always include God in those plans.
It is also imperative that we do all the good we can in this world. As the writer of Hebrews states,
“Make every effort to live in peace with all men 
and to be holy; 
without holiness no one will see the Lord.”
 Hebrews 12:14.
Please think about it.

No comments: