Friday 26 May 2017

The Sign

The sign
Jesus said,
“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.” Matthew 7:12.
I was once shocked to see a man carrying a sign stating. “All homosexuals are going to Hell.”
It shocked me because I asked myself has this man no love, no compassion. Would he have stood outside the house where Jesus was sitting with tax collectors in (Matthew 9:10-13) saying, “Tax Collectors are going to Hell?” Would he have agreed with the Pharisees who criticized the actions of Jesus?
I do not believe that man holding the sign was doing the work of God. In fact he was doing just the opposite. I think that man unless he changes his attitude may one day hear the worlds of Jesus who said,
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.  
Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’  
Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’” Matthew 7:21-23
Jesus when asked,
 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 
Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’  
This is the first and greatest commandment.  
And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’  
All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:36-40
Jesus also said,
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’  
But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.  
If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?  
  And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?  Matthew 5:43-47.
In making these two statements, Jesus made it clear we are to love everyone. And just to make it perfectly clear to all who believe in His teachings Jesus said,
“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.” Matthew 7:12.
I wonder if that man holding the sign would want anyone protesting against his way of life? I think not.
That man was certainly not showing love by holding up that sign. He was however most definitely turning that people away from Christ.
When I seen that man with the sign I thought of the words of James. James the half brother of Jesus said,
“Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom,  because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!”James 2: 12,13.
That man was not showing mercy. He was, if you think about it, possibly sending someone to a Christless eternity.
Are your actions doing the same?
Please think about it.

No comments: