Wednesday 31 August 2022

Will you be dressed in white?

 Will you be dressed in white?

The book of Revelations records,

"To the angel of the church in Sardis write: 

These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead.  

Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your deeds complete in the sight of my God.  

Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you. 

Yet you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes. They will walk with me, dressed in white, for they are worthy.  

He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels.  

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." Revelation 3:1-6.

Here is a warning to a church that seems to be alive but is in fact dead. This church appears to those around them to be doing Gods work but in reality they are not. Their works were incomplete. 

The principle work of the church is evangelism. Reaching others for Christ.

"Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:18-20.

The other thing we believers in Christ Jesus should be doing is good works. The book of James states,

"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?  

Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.  

If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?  

In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 

But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.  

You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. 

You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?" James 2:14-20

Christ notes,

"Yet you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes. They will walk with me, dressed in white, for they are worthy"

Is the church congregation you attend alive? Are they doing what God has called them to do? Are you alive in Christ? Are you doing what God wants you to do?

Will you be dressed in white?

Please think about it.

No comments: