Monday 5 August 2013

Where’s your treasure?

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  
But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” 
Matthew 6:19-20
The other day someone commented that my care was quote “ageing”. I drive a 1991 Honda station wagon.
They told me I needed a new one.
I noted that it’s still in good shape. That with just over two hundred thousand kilometres on it’s just about broken in.
I noted that I never buy new and that I hardly ever pay more than five hundred dollars for a car. With obvious repairs to pass the government’s mechanical fitness requirements the total cost of the car is generally around seven hundred or so.
Usually the cars last me a couple of years, five if I’m lucky.
Still the person thought that me buying a new or nearly new one would look better.
It was then I realized that we were at different ends of the spectrum as far as material things go.
He was very much upper middle class Canadian with a lot of the toys. The nice fifteen hundred square foot house. Manicured lawns, nice up to date cars, designer clothes, flat screen television, computers and so on.
In order to get them he worked long hours and while he  a Christian he quite often missed church on Sunday. Even during the week he would skip bible study in favour of work or looking after his property.
I on the other hand have an illness that at times prevents me from working. Still I own my own business and can choose when I work. Thus I schedule my work around what’s happening at church.
I did this even when I was employed in a so called normal job. I’m far from perfect but I firmly believe that God must come first in my life. It is something I’ve instilled in my children and both are very active in their churches today as adults.
While it would be nice to have millions of dollars. I’m happy with my ninety-one Honda and my tiny nine hundred square foot home that was built in 1949. My second hand lap top computer, a stereo record player, that plays real vinyl records. O and there’s a wind up and a small battery powered radio in case of emergencies.
It’s more than most people in this world have and my situation gives me the opportunity to serve my Lord better.
Isaiah the prophet wrote,
A voice says, “Cry out.” And I said, “What shall I cry?” 
“All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field. 
The grass withers and the flowers fall, because the breath of the LORD blows on them. Surely the people are grass. 
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever.” 
                                                                                                           Isaiah 40:6-8.
What we have in this world will wither and ultimately pass to someone else eventually turning to dust.
It’s only what’s done for Christ that will last.
Are you more into the “toys” of life or Christ?
Think about it.

No comments: