Saturday 21 June 2014

An Incident in a Garden

An incident in a Garden

While he was still speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, arrived. With him was a large crowd armed with swords and clubs, sent from the chief priests and the elders of the people.  
Now the betrayer had arranged a signal with them: “The one I kiss is the man; arrest him.”  Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, “Greetings, Rabbi!” and kissed him. 
Jesus replied, “Friend, do what you came for.”Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him.  
With that, one of Jesus’ companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear. 
“Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.  
Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?  
But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?” 
At that time Jesus said to the crowd, “Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me? Every day I sat in the temple courts teaching, and you did not arrest me.  
But this has all taken place that the writings of the prophets might be fulfilled.” Then all the disciples deserted him and fled. 
Matthew 26:47-56.
Here is an account of the arrest of Jesus. Peter strikes the servant of the high priest and cuts off his ear. Jesus reminds him that all this had to happen in order to fulfill the prophesy about Jesus.
He then goes on to make what to me is a very human comment Matthew records,
“At that time Jesus said to the crowd, “Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me? Every day I sat in the temple courts teaching, and you did not arrest me.”
The religious leaders chose their time for arresting Jesus carefully. It was in the night when most honest and upright people would be asleep.
The crowds that were at Jesus arrest were more than likely not the same crowds that surrounded him during the day in the temple.
The religious leaders could have arrested Jesus at any time, but they knew the people thought him a prophet so they chose to do it at night when those who thought him a prophet were more than likely in their beds.
The people who were there at his arrest were, I believe a rabble and those loyal to the religious leaders.
Today we have Evangelist and Preachers in the media that to the secular world. People who do not go to church claim to be the face of Christianity.
Some may well be preaching the bible correctly I believe most do. However there are many out there in the particularly in the media that are not.
Jesus told this parable,
"Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field.  
But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away.  
When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared. 
“The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’ 
“ ‘An enemy did this,’ he replied. “The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’ 
“ ‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the weeds, you may root up the wheat with them.  
Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.’ ” 
Matthew 13:24-30.
There are in the world when it comes to Christianity many weeds out there. Evangelist, ministers, church denominations and individual churches, that are not teaching the word of God correctly.
At times its hard to tell who’s teaching is good and sound and who’s is not. But on judgement day all will be revealed. As Jesus said,
“Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’  
Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’”
Matthew 7:22,23.
Until that day when it comes to finding a church to worship in all I can say is pray. Ask God to direct you to the right church fellowship and study the bible. To see if what that church is teaching lines up with it.
Think about it.

No comments: