Thursday 19 June 2014

Christians and "christians'

There are Christians and there are “christians”

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.  
Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’  
Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ 
Matthew 7:21-23
I was talking to my pastor this morning it was a general talk. One thing however came up of importance.
I’d seen on an American television station protests against homosexuals being ordained into the Episcopal church. What got to me was the signs some of the protesters were carrying saying “God hates homosexuals” and “homosexuals are going to burn”. Nothing could be further from the truth.
If the truth be known it could be the other way around.
Think about it Jesus said,
Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’  This is the first and greatest commandment.  
And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’  
All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” 
                                                                       Matthew 22:37-40.
A person carrying a sign that reads God hates homosexuals does not to my way of thinking love homosexuals.
Jesus said,
“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.” 
                   Matthew 7:12.
Would the people protesting against homosexuals for any reason want people to carry signs saying, “Christians are going to burn.” I think not.
Jesus said,
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged.  
For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” 
Matthew 7:1,2.
None of us know why a homosexual is as they are only God knows that. We do not, and the admonition Jesus give here is strait forward,
“For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”
Paul states,
 “If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.” 
                                                                                                     Romans 12:18.
The people that are protesting against everything homosexual in my mind seem to harken back to the days of segregation in the United States. They are extremely confrontational and hate seems to be festering in them whether they realize it or not. These men and women in my mind have a twisted even perverted idea of what a Christian is.
Paul writing to Timothy writes,
“For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.  
They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.” 
                                                                               2Timothy 4:3,4.
I think we are perhaps in those times now.
You only have to look in the media to see that many who would call themselves evangelical Christians seem to lack love.
To be a Christian is to Love Paul defining love as,
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 
Love never fails.” 
1 Corinthians 13:4-8a.
A true Christian lives their life with love for their fellow man irrespective of whether they agree with them or not.
A true Christian will not judge another person.
A true Christian will reach out in love to all mankind irrespective of their colour race creed or lifestyle.
Jesus said,
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” 
                                                 Matthew 11:28-30
When he said come he meant all.
Those who would say God hates homosexuals and say they will burn. I believe one day when they stand before a holy and just God are in for a big surprise.
Think about it.

No comments: