Thursday 15 January 2015

A Personal Note

A personal note

“A voice says, “Cry out.” And I said, “What shall I cry?” 
“All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field. 
The grass withers and the flowers fall, because the breath of the LORD blows on them. Surely the people are grass. 
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever.” 
                                                                                               Isaiah 40:6-8.

The other day I was thinking about my mother she died young of cancer in her mid fifties.
My grandmother, her mother lived until her late nineties. Out living my mother by some twenty almost thirty years.
When I think of them I realize their lives were but a mist in time.
They were ordinary people. They didn’t accomplish great things but they had a good full life with family and friends around them. And that is all most people can expect.
Throughout the years however I’ve read about and heard of talented entertainers in particular that have died by their own hand or of drug overdoses. For all their success they found it seems little meaning in life.
William Wordsworth wrote,
“We poets in our youth begin in gladness;
but therefore came in the end to despondency and madness.’
Suicide rates are on the rise in our western culture, as is clinical depression and other forms of mental illness. As someone who knows a great deal of mentally ill people I understand that mental illness is a very real illness that can lead to death at one’s own hand.
Sadly our western society doesn’t seem to help the situation.
As I look around I see a great deal of emphasis on getting “things”. Materialism it seems is the god of the twenty-first century and the majority of people young and old seem to be buying into it.
Sadly materialism is a cold bed partner.
I know people in all strata of life, from the rich to the poor. From the famous to the unknown who simply find no meaning in life. And have taken their own life.
The writer of Ecclesiastes wrote,
“I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.”
                  Ecclesiastes 1:14.
How sad to have such an outlook on life. Is it any wonder that people commit suicide?
As someone who lives with a mental illness, specifically Bipolar Affective Disorder I understand what it is like to go through deep depression and despair.
But the one thing that has always kept me going is the fact that I truly believe there is a God that loves me.
It is my belief in God that has given me hope and purpose in life. Today fifty-one years after making Jesus Christ Lord of my life. I know I am a better person and have a hope that there is more to life than what we can see, feel and hear.
I believe the words of Ecclesiastes when it says,
“Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole  duty  of man. 
For God will bring every deed into judgement, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.” 
Ecclesiastes 12:13,14.
Without God in my life my life would be meaningless. I know that no matter how deep the valley or how high the mountain top, my God is with me. That there is always hope.
Sadly all too many people in this world do not have hope. They recognize there is something missing in their life. For lack of a better phrase, “a hole in their soul”
A hole that the materialism and things of our modern world can’t fill no matter what they do.
They, to quote Wordsworth “in their youth begin in gladness but their life ends in despondency and madness.”
This should not be so because there is hope. Hope in the name of Jesus Christ.
To those who feel empty inside, to those who feel hopeless and can’t find meaning in life, the voice of Jesus echos through the centuries saying,
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
Matthew 11:28,29.
I know it takes a leap of faith to believe in Christ, but it is a leap that will change a persons life forever.
I know because I personally, and there are many, many like me, who have found fulfilment and joy in Christ Jesus.
Please think about praying and asking Christ into your life today.

No comments: