Monday 16 November 2015

A Spiritual life

A spiritual life

“Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.”
                                                                                                                                     Buddha
I as a Christian firmly believe truth is truth no matter where you find it. The above quote by Buddha is correct. While I may not believe that Buddhism is the way to heaven what the Buddha says about man not being able to live without a spiritual life is true.
I believe in life after death and an almighty God who gives us hope beyond the grave. Not having that hope for me cheapens our existence in this life.
Peter John Kreeft a Catholic philosopher wrote,
“Atheism treats people cheaply. Also, it robs death of meaning, and if death has no meaning, how can life ultimately have meaning? Atheism cheapens everything it touches, look at the results of communism, the most powerful form of atheism on earth.
And in the end, when the atheist dies and encounters God instead of nothingness he had predicted he’ll recognize that atheism was a cheap answer because it refused the only thing that’s not cheap the God of infinite value”
                                               Peter John Kreeft ph.d 
I have met many people over the years that have had good lives. Many atheist that frankly have lived better lives than some I know claiming to be Christians. Still that does not negate the fact man is more than what we can feel, hear, and see. Man has a spiritual aspect to he being.
If you as an individual are honest with yourself you have to admit there are times when you wonder if there is more to life as full as your life may be.
For lack of a better expression I believe there is an empty space within the very being of every person. It is a hole that no matter what we try to fill it with, it never seems to be filled. A hole that can only be filled by God.
I know people who have reached the height of their professions who have made millions of dollars who have said they still feel empty inside.
Some turn to drugs and alcohol others to various other pursuits. Yet no matter what they do they feel empty inside.
Jesus said,
“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” 
              John 10:10.
Those who would deny the existence of God are to my mind thieves of a kind. They strip life of hope.
The Psalmist reminds us,
“The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” 
                                                                      Psalm 14:1.
Jesus says to all men and women everywhere,
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  
  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” 
                                                         Matthew 11:28-30.
God I believe offers all people everywhere a choice when Jesus said,
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.  Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son”. 
                                                                                                                                   John 3:16-18
If I am wrong about all of this then no one has a thing to fear however if I am right then those who do not believe have a lot to at least think about.
Please think about it.

No comments: