Monday 5 December 2016

On "The Rock",

On "The Rock"
Jesus said,
“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.  
The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.   But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.  
The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”Matthew 7:24-27.
As a Christian I am called to build my house, my faith, on the teachings of Jesus. That in doing so my faith will grow. This is not entirely a new thing.
The writer of Proverbs tells believers,
     “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.”Proverbs 3:5,6
Christians believe that Jesus is God incarnate. God in the flesh which is another reason we should follow Him.
The teachings of Jesus are for the most part simple. They are Love God, your neighbour, and even your enemy.
Jesus told his disciples and through them us,
“Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20.
Telling people about Jesus and making disciples is an important part of Christian life.
As Christians we believe that Jesus is the way to heaven and as such is the most important message we can present to the world.  Someone who can give you rest for your soul.
Jesus said,
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened,
 and I will give you rest.  
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for
 I am gentle and humble in heart, 
and you will find rest for your souls.  
For my yoke is easy
 and my burden is light.”
 Matthew 11:28-30
Having Faith in Jesus, in God also gives us strength to go through the good and the bad times.  The writer of Psalm twenty-three states,
The LORD is my shepherd,
 I shall not be in want. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures, 
he leads me beside quiet waters, 
he restores my soul. 
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, 
I will fear no evil, for you are with me; 
your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. 
You anoint my head with oil; 
my cup overflows. 
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, 
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. 
Psalm 23.
As a Christian now for over forty years I can testify to the fact that no matter what we go through God does indeed bring us through and give us peace.
Please think about it

No comments: