Friday 9 December 2016

Storms

Storms
“Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him.  
Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping.  
The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!” 
He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. 
The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!” Matthew 8:23-27.
Here is one of those things I often ask those who don’t believe in Christ about and it goes for all miraculous things mentioned in the Bible. Why put the miraculous in the New Testament? If not true they would take away from the truth of the scriptures.
The answer is they are true. Sometimes truth can be harder to believe than fiction.
Here we have a story of Jesus sleeping when a storm come up. The disciples some of whom were fishermen were afraid, so it must have been severe. Jesus then wakes up and calms the storm.
This incident showed the power of Jesus.
The incident can also be a metaphor to the storms in our life. We all have them at one time or another. Such storms can cause us to have great fear as regards to the outcome.
As a Christian however I have found that no matter the storms that come in my life, and I have had numerous very serious storms, I can get through them with the peace of mind that Jesus is there with me. That God is with me.
Jesus truly is a port in a storm. The one who gives me strength to go through the problems of life.
He is also there for me in the good times.
I as a Christian can say with the Psalmist,
"The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures, 
he leads me beside quiet waters, 
he restores my soul. 
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, 
I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. 
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell
 in the house of the LORD forever." 
Psalm 23.
Can you?
Please think about it.

No comments: