Friday 17 March 2017

The Corrupt Church

The Corrupt Church
In the book of Revelations John records Jesus as sending messages to seven churches in Asia minor. Most scholars agree that there are churches like these seven in every generation. Thus we can learn from them and correct any errors we as modern day congregations and denominations are falling into.
The forth church Jesus speaks to is the church in Thyatira. John records,
“To the angel of the church in Thyatira write: 
These are the words of the Son of God, whose eyes are like blazing fire and whose feet are like burnished bronze.  
I know your deeds, your love and faith, your service and perseverance, and that you are now doing more than you did at first. 
Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols.  
I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling.  
So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways.  
I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds.  
Now I say to the rest of you in Thyatira, to you who do not hold to her teaching and have not learned Satan’s so-called deep secrets (I will not impose any other burden on you): Only hold on to what you have until I come. 
To him who overcomes and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations— ‘He will rule them with an iron scepter; he will dash them to pieces like pottery’— 
just as I have received authority from my Father.  
I will also give him the morning star.  
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.  Revelations 2:18-29.
Here Jesus notes that the church in Thyatira is doing more than it had been doing. However he points out that they tolerate a woman called Jezebel. Whether this is her real name or a nickname likening her to queen Jezebel of old Testament fame in 1Kings 16, and 2 Kings 9. This woman is leading people in the church to commit sexual immorality.
Jesus states,
“I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling.  
So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways.  
I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds.”
The church cannot compromise its morality in any way, sexual or otherwise. God has given the Church a moral code which it must follow.
If individual Christians do not follow this code and like Jezebel fall into sexual sin they will suffer just like her. Jesus couldn’t make this clearer.
It seem harsh but in the case of this woman she obviously knew the ways of God. She knew what God expected of her yet she turned against God’s ways. Not only that she seemed to have turned others away.
It is one thing for a none-believer to teach Christians things that are not Christian they do not know any better.
It is quite another thing for someone who knows the teachings of Christ and deliberately teaches things that are contrary to the teachings of Jesus. Such people are held to a higher standard.
The apostle Peter warns of such people as this woman Jezebel. He states,
“But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves.  
Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.  
In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.”2 Peter 2:1-3  
God gives all men and women the option to repent of their evil ways. To repent of their sins and turn back to God even men and women who claim to be teaching God’s word correctly but are not.
However God will not force anyone to do what they do not want to do. The individual has complete freedom of choice with respect to their words and deeds.
Jesus also make it clear what happens if you follow His commands he states,
“To him who overcomes and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations”
Those who trust in God and follow the ways of God will one day rule and reign with Him.
So the question becomes, If you are a Christian are you truly following the ways of God. Is there sin of any type in your life?
If so are you willing to go to go right now and repent of that sin?
Please think about it.

No comments: