Sunday 21 October 2018

Who is He?

Who is He?
Just who is Jesus, some say a myth, others say he was a good man. Some say he was simply a prophet. Christians however say Jesus is the Son of God, God incarnate, the saviour of the world.
The following are just a few quotes from the New Testament. They tell what the followers of Jesus believed and what Jesus said of himself.
John’s gospel records,
“Then came the Feast of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was in the temple area walking in Solomon’s Colonnade. 
“The Jews gathered around him, saying, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” 
Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The miracles I do in my Father’s name speak for me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep.  
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  
I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.  
My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.  
I and the Father are one.” 
Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?” 
“We are not stoning you for any of these,” replied the Jews, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.” John 10 22-33.
Notice here Jesus claimed to be one with God and did not back down on that statement even when facing the possibility of being stoned.
Jesus speaking to his disciples said,
“Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6 
Jesus makes it clear he is the only way to meet God the Father.
Matthew’s gospel records this conversation between Jesus and his apostles,
“When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” 
They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 
“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” 
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.  Matthew 16:13-17.
All of the apostles and all of the writers of the New Testament believed that Jesus was the Son of God the Christ, the Messiah.
The Writer of Hebrew summing things up this way,
“In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.  
The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.” Hebrews 1:1-3
Jesus is the “is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being,...”
This is what true Christians today believe.
The question you the reader must answer is the same one Jesus asked Martha as recorded in the gospel of John,
“Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
“Yes Lord” she told Him, “I believe you are the Christ the Son of God, who was to come into the world,” John 11:25,26,27.
The question is do you believe the same thing Martha believed?
Please think about it.

No comments: