Sunday 11 November 2018

A Principle

A principle
“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.  
Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates.”  Exodus 20:8-10.
As I look around the world today, particularly here in North America where I live I see men and women who are stressed out.
Statistics show that many don’t take all their allotted vacation time. Many take work on vacation with them and home during the week.
Over the years our world has moved away from the principles of God. The principle of stopping one day a week to rest for example.
I can remember a time in Canada when I first arrived that stores had to be closed on Sunday’s. The law went as far as saying even transport trucks could not travel on Sunday’s. The exception was vehicles carrying perishable goods.
This was a break that allowed for family time. However secular forces prevailed and Sunday closings became a thing of the past.
The result is it can be hard to have family time.
On top of all of this we are bombarded by the media telling us we need the latest gadget.
When I was young I didn’t know I needed a smart cell phone, or a handy dandy tablet to help me keep in touch with people 24/7. They simply were not around and we got by just fine. Now we can’t it seems get by without them.
Now there is nothing wrong with the latest technology or wanting the best things in life. There is something wrong if you have to work ridiculously long hours to earn the money to get the best things in life at the expense of time with family, friends and our faith.
Sadly too many people today are doing just that. They are working long hours just to pay the bills so they can keep their nice house and own the latest gadgets.
Sadly over the years I’ve heard of many people who have simply committed suicide because they can’t take the strain of living in modern society. Suicide rates today are through the roof.
This is not what God wants for anyone. God’s call through Jesus is clear. Jesus said,
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  Matthew 11:28-30.
I firmly believe that if we return to the basic principles of living a life God wants us to live, one of honouring God, loving one’s neighbours and even our enemies.
Of taking at least one day a week to relax without the thought of work, our society and we as individuals will be all the better for it.
Please think about it.

No comments: