Sunday 12 January 2014

Quintessence of being Chrsitan

Quintessence:  “the essence of a thing in its purest and most concentrated form.”

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16
God Loved. To quote a rather flippant saying from my early days as a Christian, “the bible says it. I believe it. That settles it.”
It has been said that love is the predominant theme of the Bible. That God is love, therefore Love is the purest of emotions.
Perhaps the best definition of love comes from the apostle Paul when writing to the Church at Corinth. In 1 Corinthians 13 he writes,
“If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.... 
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13:1-8a,13
If we are truly Christians. If we believe the Bible is the inspired word of God then we must believe John 3:16, that God loved and that Love is everything Paul speaks of in 1 Corinthians thirteen.
Jesus when asked what the most of important law was said,
“Jesus said to him, ‘you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment and the second is like it you shall love your neighbour as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.’” Matthew 22:37-40.
Jesus spoke a lot about love. He told us to love our enemies to pray for our persecutors and those who spitefully use us.
His ministry was a ministry of Love.
All to many Christians remember John 3: 16 but they fail to see its ramifications.
Take a close look at that verse,
For God so loved the world
he gave His only Son
that whoever believes in Him shall not perish
but have eternal life.
God Loved us,
Paul writing to the Romans tells us in Romans 5:8 “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
God took the first step. He demonstrated his love for us while we were still sinners.
And he says to us all we have to do to inherit eternal life is believe in him.
God wants a relationship with us. He wants us to give our life to him to become part of his family,
John 3:17 states clearly, “
“For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.”
That is a key element in a Christians life. God reached down to mankind and said here am I. Come to me and I will give you rest.
The exact verse reads,
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30
If we are truly followers of Jesus, and take up Christ’s cause then we will have peace even in the darkest days of our life.
In accepting Christ into our lives we are making God our father. A father who is there for us at all times. Someone we can share our joys with as well as someone to hold our hand through the trying times of life.
Think about it.

No comments: