Tuesday 23 September 2014

A Thought for Christians

A thought for Christians

“It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand.”
         Mark Twain.
We have a just and fair God who will only hold us accountable for what we know about Him nothing more.
Mark Twain was right. We may not be able to understand the whole Bible, still the Bible was written to the everyday Christian believer, as such there is much we can understand. It is these parts we need to take heed of.
While it’s true we are saved through faith, and as such our faith will get us into heaven, we will still be judged by God for our deeds on this earth.
I like what the Talmud says. It could have been written to any believer. It states,
“When a man appears before the Throne of Judgment, the first question he is asked is not, “Have you believed in God?”  Or “Have you prayed and observed the ritual?  “He is asked: “have you dealt honourably and faithfully in all your dealings with your fellow men?”
                                                                                                             The Talmud
Think of it logically. The believer already believes in God therefor God has no need to ask them if they believe. The believer is more than likely attending church and worshipping. So it’s only logical that we would be asked how we feel, we’ve dealt with our fellow man.
James writes,
"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?  
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.  
If one of you says to him, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?  
In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 
But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.  
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. 
You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?" 
                                                                                                                     James 2:14-20
Jesus in Luke 10:30-37, tells of the good Samaritan that helped a man in need. Calling the Samaritan who were not liked by the Jews of the day, this man's neighbour.
In Matthew 25 Jesus says,
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,  
I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ 
“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  
When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  
When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ 
“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’”
                         Matthew 25:34-40.
We should also remember to look at our lives from time to time to see if we are sinning in some way. If we are falling short of God’s ideal for our lives and confess that sin to God. As we discover it.
Always, always remember Christians are far from perfect. We are not perfect just progressing.
Think about it.

No comments: