Monday 15 September 2014

Weary and Burdened

Weary and burdened
  As I write this the comedian Robin Williams has just died. He struggled for many years with mental illness. Sadly it got to him.
I understand what Mr. Williams was going through it is very hard. You see I live with Bipolar affective disorder (manic depression).
Bipolar disorder sends the person between high, highs and low lows with a period of stability in the middle. For me most of my time I do spend down. Although now twenty plus years after I was diagnosed it is relatively under control.
I liken having Bipolar as being in a high powered sports car. You are driving along the road at a high speed the wind is whipping your hair the adrenalin is pumping there’s no feeling like it.
However the car suddenly stops and you jump into a pit of mud wallowing up to your neck in mud and despair. Then just when you think you can’t take it any more you’re back in that sports car racing down the road again the cycle repeating.
The other illustration I usually use is imagine you’re in a snow globe. Simultaneously your inside the globe and you’re holding it.
You start shaking the globe you know intellectually you are doing it that you’re causing the storm to rage all around yourself in the globe but you’re powerless to stop it so the problem continues.
When your high it is better than any drug. You feel invincible. You can do anything. I use to do two, three, five, six jobs all at the same time and not get anything finished.
It’s a case of get out of my way I can do it better and faster. Let me do it.
As a professional clown I’ve performed when my moods were high and it works out great. Your mind is sharp, going a mile a minute it made me I think a better clown. The comedy just kept coming.
On the other end however is the dark side. Whey you enter that pit of despair that you can’t seem to get out of.
Ecclesiastes states,
“I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.”
                      Ecclesiastes 1:14.
That could have been a statement I would make when I am on the down side of my illness.
To make matters worse I’ve had Christians. People inside the church say to me that mental illness is not real. I’ve have others say that it’s demon possession and that I should get prayer.
I’ve even had them say it’s a sign of weakness or sin in my life.
With comments like that is it any wonder that people especially within the church where one should feel safe, will not admit they have a mental illness.

One in five people will suffer from some form of mental illness in their life time it is the same inside the church as outside.
We in the church need to me reaching out to these people.
For me several things have made a difference in my life.
My family doctor and psychiatrist both of whom know their stuff and have helped me get on the right medications.
Then there’s group therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy.
My wife and family who have supported me through some of the darkest days of my life when suicide was heavy on my mind.
Many families and marriages break up because of the illness.
Also there was my faith. My belief in God and Christ who are a major part of my life and lifestyle.
Jesus said,
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
                                                  Matthew 11:28-30.
And I can say honestly Christ does give you rest.
In my darkest hours I have gone to God in prayer and I have been comforted. I have been pulled back from the brink. And I have drawn closer in my relationship with Jesus.
Sadly hundreds of people circum to suicide as the result of a mental illness every year.
Many people especially within the church do not want to admit they have it for fear of being ostracised. They are afraid of the stigma that goes with mental illness.
We should be reaching out to them. Not ostracising them or pushing them away.
We would never say to a person with diabetes or a broken leg that it is not real or ostracise them, so why would we do it to someone with mental illness.
Someone with mental illness needs all the help and love give them. We need to be there for them.
There is a phrase that was making the rounds a while ago WWJD, What Would Jesus Do.
If Jesus knew a mentally ill person What would he do?
Think about it.
Then do it.
Post Script
If you or someone you know is behaving oddly. If they tend to be depressed for long periods of time or are doing things that are out of character for them. Talk to them.
Mental illnesses do go undiagnosed for long periods of time. I know for me looking back I probably had signs showing as early as twenty years prior to my diagnosis. But people simply put it down to me being me.
People who suspect they may have clinical depression, Bipolar disorder, schizophrenia or any other mental illness need to see a doctor as soon as possible.
In Canada the Canadian Mental Health Association can help.
Psychiatrists are covered under the various provincial health programs and your family doctor will know where to direct you for help.
Remember Mental illness is real and can lead to suicide and death. Please do not take it lightly. Get help.

No comments: