Thursday 2 October 2014

In Adversity

In Adversity

“The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 
he restores my soul. 
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
 I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
 You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and 
I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.”
                                                                                                                Psalm 23

The twenty-third Psalm reminds us that God is with us through all our troubles. He knows what we are going through and what we are in need of.
One pastor I had suggested every now and then we should examine the twenty-third psalm and see how it relates to us.
Isaac Watts wrote,
"My shepherd is the living Lord,
Now shall my wants be well supplied,
His providence and holy word
Becomes my Safety and my guide.

In pastures where salvation grows,
He makes me food - he makes me rest -
There living water gently flows,
And all the food divinely blessed...
Through I walk through the gloomy vale,
Where death and all its terrors are,
My heart and hope shall never fail;
For God, my Shepherd’s with me there."
                                                                                                    Isaac Watts
Having Jesus as our Lord and Saviour is to my mind as important as the air we breath.
He is their in the good times and in the bad.
I was told a long time ago that I should become so close to the Lord that when the dark times come. When trouble comes God is the first person we turn to.
I’ve found that to be true.
I live with Bipolar affective disorder. When I had that first break down that led to my diagnosis I was travelling along a major highway. Out of the blue an overwhelming fear of dread came upon me tears welled up in my eyes and I had to pull over to the side of the road.
I remember asking God what was happening.
When I regained my equilibrium I went to the next rest stop pulled into a far corner of the parking lot and cried for half an hour.
During that time I cried out to God. I did so seemingly automatically.
I strongly believe that it was he who answered my prayers. He that got me in touch with the right doctors and psychiatrists and has helped me through the darkest days of my life.
Jesse Jai McNeil wrote,
“In the midst of sorrow or joy, sickness or health, adversity or prosperity, we beseech Thee, that we may never lose sight of Thee. 
And when the storms of confusion and uncertainty overtake us, speak peace to my soul, O blessed LORD, and enlighten our mind with Thy Holy spirit.  Lighten our burdens by strengthening our spirit.  Keep us strong and give us courage.
                                                                                         Jesse Jai McNeil 
As Christians we are as close as a prayer to God.
Dear Christian how close are you to God?
Is He the first person you turn to in times of trouble?
Think about it.

No comments: