Sunday 26 October 2014

Who is He?

Who is he?

“So he(Paul) reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and the God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there.  
A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to dispute with him. Some of them asked, “What is this babbler trying to say?” Others remarked, “He seems to be advocating foreign gods.” They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about Jesus and the resurrection.  
Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus, where they said to him, “May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting?”  
                                                                              Acts 17:17-19.
I am a professional clown as a result I get invited to a lot of corporate and private Christmas parties over the year.
These parties are all about the Children which is a good thing.
The parties range from very elaborate affairs that have the big jump and bounce blow up castles along with various entertainers and of course Father Christmas, to very small gatherings in which I generally am the entertainment along with Santa.
The children always seem to have a lot of fun and I admit for me as an entertainer I leave them feeling extra good.
Whenever I go to these events I wear a small badge that says, “Jesus is the reason for the season”.
Sadly, and it’s getting more frequent, many children are asking me who Jesus is even teenagers are asking. What’s worse I think is that adults are asking me who Jesus is. They know the name but know nothing about him.
Now one must keep in mind that in the area where I live and work not counting cable stations, there are five over the air Christian television channels and several radio stations.
When I get a chance, I do tell the people who ask, just who Jesus is. I even refer them to my Blogs.
Still we as Christians need to do more.
I live in a town were one church alone has a Sunday attendance equal to that of one percent of the cities population. And I would guess that by the number of churches in our town there is between five and perhaps as high as ten percent of the city’s population go to church. That being said people are not being reached. I can only imagine what it is like in bigger cities.
It needs to begin with each individual. We need to be inviting people over for coffee or to bible studies, to church.
We need to just be friends with non-believers and show the love of God toward them. To live a Christlike life in front of them.
Matthew records,
“Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” 
                                                                    Matthew 28:18-20.
This is what we need to be doing any way we can, especially now that Christmas is on the horizon.
Think about it.

No comments: