Tuesday 4 August 2015

Your Life

Your Life
Here is a beautiful piece of wisdom from Ben Zion Bokser I believe is a universal truth it is entitled The Rose Talked Back
The Rose Talked Back

The man sweeping the synagogue paused for a moment.  He looked at the flowers lying about in disorder, ‘What waste!’  He said too himself.  Those roses had adorned the pulpit at a wedding aan hour before.  Now all was over and they were waiting to be discarded.
The attendant leaning on his sweeper was lost in thought when suddenly he heard a strange sound.  One of the roses replied to him.
‘Do you call this a waste?” the flower protested, ‘What is life anyway, yours or mine, but a means of service?  My mission was to create some fragrance and beauty, and when I have fulfilled it my life has not been wasted.  And what greater privilege is there than to adorn a bride’s way to her beloved, what greater privilege than to help glorify the moment when a bride and groom seal their faith in each other by entering the covenant of marriage?’
Our little flower paused for a moment too watch the man’s face, and then continued her discourse.
‘Roses are like people.  They live in deeds, not in time.  My glory was but for a brief hour, but you should have seen the joy in the bride’s eye.  I like to believe that I had something to do with it, by creating a suitable setting for the moment of her supreme happiness.  So don’t grieve for me.  My life has been worthwhile.
Having spoken her little piece, the rose was once more silent.  The attendant, startled from his reverie and a little wiser, pushed the sweeper again and continued with his work.
                                                                                                         Ben Zion Bokser
Question: is your life worthwhile? Have you done anything to help people? To perhaps even enrich the lives of those you meet?
It doesn’t have to be something great or earth shattering.
I remember when some years ago when we first moved into our house. It was winter and there had been a modest snow fall four or five inches. Enough that we needed to shovel the drive way. As we did we seen an older lady as it turned out in her eighties, across the street doing her best to shovel her driveway.
All we did was stop what we were doing and go across to shovel her driveway first. It cost us nothing but a few minutes of our time. Still you could see she deeply appreciated it. From then on for the rest of the winter my son’s or I after a snow fall slipped over to shovel her driveway before we did our own.
It was a small gesture but it made a big difference to that lady.
Such things are easy to do. It’s the little things that make a difference, volunteering at a food bank, a hospital, a hospice, or other places where there is need.
Someone once told me multimillionaires and billionaires give money and that is needed. But it is the average person who volunteers their time that makes the system work. Average people doing what they can when they can.
This is a Christian truth but one that I believe is echoed in all faiths. It a concept I believe even atheist can agree with.
As Christians I firmly believe we need to be giving of our time not just our money to help people. James the brother of Christ writes,
“What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?  
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.  
If one of you says to him, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?  
In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 
But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.  
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. 
You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?” 
                                                                                                       James 2:14-20
Please think about it.

No comments: