Wednesday 16 May 2018

Thoughts on God

Thoughts on God
The writer of Hebrews states,
“And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.” Hebrews 11:6.
The writer defining faith as,
“Now faith is being sure of what we hope  for 
and 
certain of what we do not see.”  
                                       Hebrews 11:1
Voltaire said,
“To believe in God is impossible 
not to believe in Him is absurd.” 
                                             Voltaire.
Blaise Pascal said,
“In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe
 and enough shadows to blind those who don't. 
                                                         Blaise Pascal.
C. S. Lewis states,
“He shows much more of Himself to some people than to others-not because He has favourites, but because it is impossible for Him to show Himself to a man whose whole mind and character are in the wrong condition.”  C. S. Lewis.
You have to truly be looking for God in order to find Him.
In my life I have found when it comes to faith in God there are extremes. At on end of the spectrum there are those who truly believe in God, no matter what the situation. While at the other end there are those who no matter what you say to them, or show them, they do not believe God exists.
Thomas Aquinas put it this way,
“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” Thomas Aquinas.
As a believer in Christ Jesus I believe God exists and nothing can convince me otherwise.
    At the same time I support the right of those who do not believe God exists to have their opinion. For I firmly believe God has given everyone a freewill to believe and do as they wish. That includes not believing God exists.
What I would ask of those who do not believe in God is, are you absolutely sure you are correct?
I as a believer in God, as a believer in Christ Jesus, have nothing to fear if God does not exist.
On the other hand if you do not believe in God and He does exist there is at the very least something to think about, if not fear.
The writer of Ecclesiastes states,
“I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor. 
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.” Ecclesiastes 2:10,11.
Having said that and more the writer comes to this conclusion,
“Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole  duty  of man. 
For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.” Ecclesiastes 12:13,14.
Please think about it.

No comments: