Tuesday 31 July 2018

Strength in Weakness

Strength in weakness
The apostle Paul writes,
“To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.  
Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.  
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.  
That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 
When I read this passage I am reminded of the rich man that came to Jesus as recorded in Matthew’s gospel. Matthew records,
“Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?” 
“Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments.” 
“Which ones?” the man inquired. Jesus replied, “ ‘Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’’” 
“All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?” 
Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” 
When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.” Matthew 19:16-22.
The young man in this situation put more faith in his wealth than in God. That is not what God wants.
The point here is that we should be putting our faith entirely in God not in our wealth or our own strength.
Now there is nothing wrong with being strong and wealthy. However we should not put our trust in them. Our wealth can vanish in an instant. Our strength can do the same.
The prophet Isaiah states,
“A voice says, “Cry out.” 
And I said, “What shall I cry?” 
“All men are like grass, 
and all their glory is like the flowers of the field. 
The grass withers and the flowers fall, 
because the breath of the LORD blows on them. 
Surely the people are grass. 
The grass withers and the flowers fall, 
but the word of our God stands forever.” 
                                                  Isaiah 40:6-8
It should be immaterial to our faith whether we have wealth and strength. We should never boast about these things. We need to believe the words Christ spoken to the apostle Paul when he said,
“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 
If we must boast we should be boasting about Jesus and all He has done for us.
Please think about it.

No comments: