Monday 13 June 2022

The rights of the poor

 The rights of the poor

"A righteous man knows the rights of the poor; a wicked man does not understand such knowledge."Proverbs 29:7.

Here’s something those calling themselves Christians should think about. In Jewish law there is a thing called Tzedakah.

Here’s a definition I got from a Jewish website.

"The word "tzedakah" is derived form the Hebrew root Tzadei-dalet-Qof, meaning righteousness, justice or fairness. 

In Judaism giving to the poor is not viewed as a generous, magnanimous act, it is simply and act of righteousness, performance of a duty giving the poor their due....

Giving to the poor is an obligation in Judaism, a duty that cannot be forsaken even by those who are themselves in need. 

Some sages have said that tzedakah is the highest of all commandments, equal to all of them combined, and that a person who does not perform tzedaka is equivalent to an idol worshipper..."

I believe this is what James meant when he wrote,

"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?  

Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.  

If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?  

In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 

But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.  

You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. 

You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?" James 2:14-20

I believe Christians from every walk of life, especially if they are materially blessed, a politician, or a pastor or an evangelist has a duty to help the poor.

Are you doing what you can to help the poor?

Please think about it.

No comments: