Saturday 30 December 2023

In the House of Mourning

 In the House of Mourning

The writer of Ecclesiastes states,

"I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labour. 

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun." Ecclesiastes 2:10,11.

The writer of Ecclesiastes is telling us that ultimately all of the things we do on this earth is meaningless. All that we have “toiled to achieve” is meaningless. It’s meaningless because we will leave them in this world when we depart to stand before God.

Later on he writes,

"The thoughts of the wise are in the house of mourning,

 but the thoughts of fools are in the house of pleasure."

                                                                             Ecclesiastes 7:4.

At first glance this statement seems unusual, but think about it. We will one day die. All of our possessions will be passed on to others while we will stand before God. Our only possessions being the words and deeds we did in this world.

Thus we should always keep in the back of our mind what we will take with us when we stand to be judged by God.

As a Christian. A believer in Christ Jesus. I firmly believe the most important thing we can do in this world is believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. The apostle Paul writing,

"That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.  

For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. Romans 10:9,10.

Do you believe in The Lord Jesus Christ?

Please think about it.

No comments: