Friday 18 April 2014

The Death of Jesus

The Death of Jesus

“From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land.  
About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?”—which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” 
When some of those standing there heard this, they said, “He’s calling Elijah.” 
Immediately one of them ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, put it on a stick, and offered it to Jesus to drink.  
The rest said, “Now leave him alone. Let’s see if Elijah comes to save him.” 
And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit. 
At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split.” 
                                   Matthew 27:26-51
Here we have the death of Jesus. Jesus calls our “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?”—which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”
On that moment on the cross Jesus became the perfect sin sacrifice for all mankind. For that moment he was separated from God.
But that separation would be brief. He would descend into hell and conquer death and sin and rising again to this world going on to ascend into heaven. Allowing salvation to come to all who would believe in Him.
The crucifixion also highlights the choice for mankind.
In the two criminals that were put to death with Jesus, Luke records,
“Two other men, both criminals, were also led out with him to be executed.  
When they came to the place called the Skull, there they crucified him, along with the criminals—one on his right, the other on his left.... 
One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Christ? Save yourself and us!” 
But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence?  
We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.” 
Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.’” 
Jesus answered him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.” 
Luke 23:32,33, 39-43  
Each criminal on that day had a choice. The same choice we have today.
One rejected Jesus mocking him. Not believing He was the Messiah.
The other confessed his sin to Jesus even confessed his belief that Jesus was who he said he was and asked that Jesus forgive his sins. To which Jesus replied,“I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”
Jesus made it clear when he said,
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” 
                                        John 14:6
To all mankind Jesus calls out saying,
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”  Matthew 11:28.
  As a Christian I can honestly say that, those words are true.
No matter what I have gone through in life from my deepest valleys to the highest points of my life. God has always been with me.
I am certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am redeemed of God. That one day I will stand before God and he will accept me as one of His own.
My prayer for you dear reader is that you will come into that peace only Jesus can give.
Please think about letting Jesus into your heart and life this day.

No comments: