Tuesday 8 April 2014

Who are brothers of Jesus

“While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him.  
Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.” 
He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?”  
Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers.  
For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.” 
                                                                                                   Matthew 12:46-50
Here Jesus family, his mother and his brothers, approach him.
Much is made of who they are in the early church, according to Epiphanius they were children of Joseph from a previous marriage. Jerome said they were cousins, while Helvidius gives the most logical conclusion. They were half brothers of Jesus the younger sons of Joseph and Mary.
Jesus however makes and important point here, Matthew recoding that Jesus, “Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers.
For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”
Paul writing to the Glatians states,
“You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.  
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.” 
                      Galatians 3:26-28.
According to what Jesus said and what Paul writes all believers in Christ are sons of God.
Think about it.

No comments: