Saturday 7 March 2015

A Church Divided

A Church Divided

“I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought.  
My brothers, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you.  
What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas’”; still another, “I follow Christ.” 
Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul?  
I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, so no one can say that you were baptized into my name.  
(Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.)  
For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.” 
                                                           1 Corinthians 1:10-17.
I like the way Paul starts here. He points out the divisions. It’s the same in the church today.
We have people who hang on every word of various preachers and evangelist. At times they take the word of the interpretation of the evangelist or pastor over the bibles clear statements.
Here in our city we had one big church fall apart. The senior pastor fell into sin. The situation was complicated but the short version was. That the pastor left to set up an independent church elsewhere rather than accept correction from his church board.
Many people fell away because of the incident to the point the congregation no longer exists. It left people questioning their faith.
Many people from that church no longer attend any church. I believe they fell away because they followed the pastor not Christ.
Pastors, evangelist and church leaders all make mistakes. That’s why we should not be following a man.
We must follow Christ. We must be studying the scriptures and following the teachings there in.
There is a saying that is very true. “The teachings of Christ and the Apostles are true. It unfortunately is the interpretation of them by modern teachers, evangelist and other Christians that are frequently in error.”
As Christians we must follow Christ not a man.
I’m old enough to remember Jones town. A situation where a very enigmatic preacher named Jim Jones lead followers from the United States down to a Jungle town in South America where they committed mass suicide. Hundreds of men women and children died.
This was admittedly a very extreme occurrence but is an example of what happens when one follows a man and not Christ.
There are other less extreme things happening in the Christian world all the time. Especially when it come to evangelist in the media.
We as Christians need I believe from time to time check ourselves and ask are we following a man, a movement or Christ.
If the answer is not Christ we need to turn from our error and turn back to Christ.
Think about it.

No comments: