Monday 23 March 2015

My Shepherd in the words of others

My Shepherd in the words of others


The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 
he restores my soul. 
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, 
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
 your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. 
You anoint my head with oil; 
my cup overflows. 
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
 and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
                                                                                                                                 Psalm 23
The above is a Psalm of David. It tells how God comforts and protects him and of his choice to be faithful to him.
Over the years I’ve come across several interesting Psalms inspired by the twenty-third psalm. I put them here for you to think about.
Psalm of Tranquility
                                                                                  by Joan Stephen
Everything that’s needed
Is given us each day;
Reflected in still waters
and grasses by the way.

Our souls are guided daily
By an unseen welcome hand,
Leading ever onward
To some sweet peaceful land.

There is no fear of evil
Or death or shades of gloom.
Constant is our comfort 
Even beyond the tomb.

Goodness will always follow;
Forever and a day
So all may live in paradise
With no need to repay.
                     Joan Stephen

The Nun’s Twenty-Third Psalm

The Lord is my pace-setter, I shall not rush.
He makes me stop and rest for quiet intervals;
He provides me with images of stillness, 
which restore my serenity.
He leads me in ways of efficiency 
through calmness of mind.
And His guidance is peace.
Even though I have a great many things to
accomplish each day,
I will not fret, for His presence is here.
His timelessness, His all importance will keep me in
balance.
He prepares refreshment and renewal in the midst of
my activity
By anointing my mind with His oils of tranquillity.
                                                                                                     All Saints convent
                                                                                                     Cantonville, Maryland
                                                   
                                                My Shepherd is the living Lord,
                                                                              by Isaac Watts
My shepherd is the living Lord,
Now shall my wants be well supplied,
His providence and holy word
Becomes my Safety and my guide.

In pastures where salvation grows,
He makes me food - he makes me rest -
There living water gently flows,
And all the food divinely blessed...
Through I walk through the gloomy vale,
Where death and all its terrors are,
My heart and hope shall never fail;
For God, my Shepherd’s with me there.
                                                                                                          Isaac Watts
Is the Lord Jesus Christ truly the Shepherd of your Life?
Please think about it.

No comments: