Monday 18 May 2015

A contented life

A contented life

“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” 
                  John10:10.

Here Jesus give the purpose for his life. He came into this world that we may have life to the full.
I look around at people I’ve known over the years people from various social strata. I’ve met men and women who have it all in earthly terms, success, the big house, money, a good family life everything. Yet they’ve admitted to me they are not ‘content’.
Yes they are happy with what they have, and their achievements, but they are not content. Something is missing in their lives.
At the same time I’ve met people at the other end of the social spectrum that are having a hard time making ends meet yet they are content.
The difference I’ve found in their lives is not money and possessions its having Jesus in their lives.
Yes those that are not materially blessed wouldn’t mind having more money, but they realize that material possessions dose not guarantee happiness and contentment.
There’s nothing wrong with being wealthy. Wealthy people from within the Church have helped advance its message around the globe. These people have also realized that money and possessions don’t make for a contented life. Only Jesus does.
True riches however come from God.
Jesus told this parable,
“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. 
“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls.  
When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it. 
Matthew 13:44-46
 In this world people strive to be rich or gain power be it by fair means or foul. Legal or illegal.
The late American world war two general George C. Patton said,
"For over a thousand years Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honour of triumph, a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeteers, musicians and strange animals from conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conquerors rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children robed in white stood with him in the chariot or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting."
                                              General George C. Patton
The writer of Ecclesiastes states,
“I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor.
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.
                                                                         Ecclesiastes 2:10,11
At the end of his book he concludes,
“Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole  duty  of man. 
For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.”
                                                                                               Ecclesiastes 12:13,14.
 The call of Jesus to the world is,
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” 
                                    Matthew 11:28-30.
As a Christian I know Jesus gives that rest, that contentment for ones soul no matter what the situation.
Please consider learning more about Jesus.
Obtain a copy of the New Testament read it for yourself and ask God to show you the truths there in

No comments: