Monday 25 May 2015

The Great Commission

The great commission

“Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” 
                                                 Matthew 28:18-20.
I had a pastor a long time ago once tell me that too many Christians sit in church and consciously or subconsciously just want “bless me” sessions.
They know the Lord well enough but they move from church to church looking if  you will for their “feel good fix”. They do nothing to advance the Gospel message.
I once asked a group of supposedly mature Christians what was the primary job of a Christian. I got a lot of different answers. Surprisingly none related to Matthew 28:18-20.
Jesus could not have made it more clear when he said,
“Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” 
                                                                          Matthew 28:18-20.
It is the primary duty of a Christian to go into all the world and make disciples. To teach those new converts all that Jesus taught the first disciples.
Yes we are to praise the Lord. To worship God in spirit and in truth. That goes along with the teachings of Christ, and when we do such things we feel good.
We however should not be sitting in the pew trying to get that feel good fix. We must reach out to others in the world, be that world, our neighbourhood, our village, town, city or far flung parts of the world.
We should do this because potentially the eternal resting place of others may be dependant on our actions.
Please think about it.

No comments: