Tuesday 5 May 2015

Your Life

Your life


“O Divine Master, grant that I may not seek to be consoled, as to console. To be understood, as to understand. To be loved, as to love. For it is in giving that we receive. It is in pardoning that we are pardoned. It is in dying that we are born to eternal life.” 
                                                                                  Francis of Assisi

What is your life all about?
Sometime ago I came across this little story called the Rose Talked Back by Ben Zion Bokser.
The Rose Talked Back
The man sweeping the synagogue paused for a moment.  He looked at the flowers lying about in disorder, ‘What waste!’  He said too himself.  Those roses had adorned the pulpit at a wedding aan hour before.  Now all was over and they were waiting to be discarded.
The attendant leaning on his sweeper was lost in thought when suddenly he heard a strange sound.  One of the roses replied to him.
‘Do you call this a waste?” the flower protested, ‘What is life anyway, yours or mine, but a means of service?  My mission was to create some fragrance and beauty, and when I have fulfilled it my life has not been wasted.  And what greater privilege is there than to adorn a bride’s way to her beloved, what greater privilege than to help glorify the moment when aa bride and groom seal their faith in each other by entering the covenant of marriage?’
Our little flower paused for a moment too watch the man’s face, and then continued her discourse.
‘Roses are like people.  They live in deeds, not in time.  My glory was but for a brief hour, but you should have seen the joy in the bride’s eye.  I like to believe that I had something to do with it, by creating a suitable setting for the moment of her supreme happiness.  So don’t grieve for me.  My life has been worthwhile.
Having spoken her little piece, the rose was once more silent.  The attendant, startled from his reverie and a little wiser, pushed the sweeper again and continued with his work.
                                                                                                                          Ben Zion Bokser
Over the years I’ve met many men and women from all walks and strata of life. I have watched how rich and poor alike at the end of their life don’t think about the wealth they’ve acquired or the things they’ve accumulated. Money and things, somehow, when one is on their death bed amount to nothing.
I like what the rose in Bokser’s story says,
“‘What is life anyway, yours or mine, but a means of service?”
It is when we realize that our lives are a means of service that life has meaning. We do live in our deeds.
I’m reminded of my sister in law Shirley, she died a few years ago at age fifty-six. Shirley struggled with alcoholism all her life. But she mastered it. It never mastered her. She stayed sober for over thirty years.
Shirley volunteered everywhere, from Alcoholics anonymous, to the church to other groups that helped people.
She died nearly three years ago now and my wife and I still meet people who comment on what good she did for them.
She was never rich or a household name, but she there when there was a need for a volunteer.
Shirley did this because it was the right thing to do and she firmly believed it is what God wanted her to do.
The Apostle James writes,
“What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?  
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.  
I f one of you says to him, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?  
In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 
But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.”  
                                                James 2:14-18
 As Christians we should have a servants spirit. This is what Jesus had. This is what the Apostles had.
Francis of Assisi got it right when he said,
“O Divine Master, grant that I may not seek to be consoled, as to console. To be understood, as to understand. To be loved, as to love. For it is in giving that we receive. It is in pardoning that we are pardoned. It is in dying that we are born to eternal life.” 
                                                                                             Francis of Assisi
There’s a quote from the Talmud that I like quoting it very much applies to Christians it says,
“When a man appears before the Throne of Judgment, the first question he is asked is not, “Have you believed in God?”  Or “Have you prayed and observed the ritual?  “He is asked: “have you dealt honourably and faithfully in all your dealings with your fellow men?”
                                                                                                                          The Talmud.
They question I ask you now is,
When you leave this earth, what will people remember you for?
Will you be able to say to God, I dealt honourably and faithfully with my fellow man?
Please think about it.

No comments: