Wednesday 6 May 2015

What would you do?

What would you do?

Some times I like to put before the reader in these blogs a controversial point for Christians to consider. Here is one.
In the news recently in both the United States and Canada there’s been talk about Bruce Jenner going to have a sex change.
Jenner is a mens gold medal in the decathlon winner at the 1976 Summer Olympics held in Montreal. Over the years he has starred in several made-for-TV movies.
Jenner was married for nearly 24 years to Kris Jenner (formerly Kardashian); the couple and their family appeared on the television series Keeping up with the Kardshians. Following his divorce in 2015 he came out in a television interview as a transgender woman and is about to under go a sex change.
While Jenner is high profile there are people like him within the church especially large congregations.
In light of this I’d like you the reader to consider the following from a book called Images. It’s called Images of a Woman,
Images of a Woman
That morning, Margaret Elizabeth got up extra early, readying herself for the day.  She would get only one chance to make an impression.  To that end, she applied her makeup with extra care.  Chose the black ankle length wraparound skirt, white turtle neck top and black jacket, her children had given her as a gift, while in hospital.  She limited her jewelry to a simple pair of diamond studied earrings, that had been her grandmother’s and small bracelet given to her by her daughter-in-law.
That done she took the ten minute drive to the modest size church she attended. Meeting with the pastor in the office.
For a few minutes they talked and passed the time of day. Then seeing the time she proceeded to the pulpit.
Leaving that office, to walk to the pulpit was the hardest step, she ever had to make.  Her heart pounded and by the time, she stood behind the pulpit she was visibly shaking.
“Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Margaret Elizabeth Williamson and just before Christmas, I underwent Sexual Reassignment Surgery.” she said relief surging through her body, as silence engulfed the assembly.  I know that many of you, maybe uncomfortable with that.  That is why I have asked to speak to you, to give you my testimony and then allow you to ask questions.
I have felt like a woman trapped in a man’s body for my entire life.  I was married for over thirty years to a wonderful and accepting woman, who died several years prior to my coming to this assembly.  I have a wonderful family, all of whom support me and are here today.
Believe me, I did not choose this course of action lightly.  I did so after much personal anguish and a great deal of prayer.
For a little over two years prior to my complete transition, I have lived my life as a woman: I was doing so when I came to this church and I think I did it well enough that no one knew.  If they did no one commented.
I have no apologies to give for what I did, or who I am, because I do not believe I did anything wrong.
I accepted Jesus as my Saviour over thirty-five years ago, and asked Him to remove from me what at times, has been a difficult burden.  He has chosen not to and thus, I have accepted that I am what I am.  A child of God, who knew me according to the Psalms in my mother’s womb.
I have no intentions of preaching a sermon here today, only to ask you to accept me as I am.  In fact, the only reason I stand before you today, is because I was asked to come onto the staff of this church and wish to be completely honest with you.
Now, I will open the door to all questions and endeavor to answer them to the best of my ability.  After which, pastor will ask for a vote and abide by your decision.”
There were many questions answered. Then finally the pastor came to the front.
“Ladies and Gentlemen, it is now time to take a vote.”  He said.  “If you wish Margaret Elizabeth to become a part of our pastoral staff, please rise to your feet.”

What would you do, stand or remain seated?
What do you think Jesus would do?
Please think about it.

No comments: