Tuesday 1 December 2015

A Christian truism

A Christian Truism

A Midnight Conversation with God

“God, why is it
that the only time
I swim back to You
is when the sharks
are about to eat me?
I could harbour my soul
in your crystal, clear waters
but instead
I allow the undertow
to carry me far from You
and out into
the black, salty waters
where danger lurks
with each crashing wave
and where my feet
never touch the bottom.”
                                                                                        By Mike W. Blottenberger.
Dear Christian how often do you draw close to God? I mean really close to God?
I believe all of us from the most dedicated faithful pastor to those sitting in the pews go through times when they do things their way.  Times when life is going good. There are no conflicts or problems in our life. Thus we don’t draw as near to God as we should.
It’s only when problems arise that we can’t handle that we turn to God. This should not be so. We should be turning to God each day of our lives, asking for guidance and protection for the coming day.
The Psalmist wrote,
“The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures, 
He leads me beside quiet waters, 
He restores my soul. 
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, 
I will fear no evil, for you are with me; 
your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. 
You anoint my head with oil;
 my cup overflows. 
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, 
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” 
                                                                                                                  Psalm 23
Dear Christian do you believe the twenty-third psalm? Do you put your trust in God everyday during the good times and the bad times?
I have a great deal of respect for my pastor. He is a man of great faith. He gives praise to God every day of his life in the good times and in the bad.
Five years ago he was diagnosed with colon cancer and told he wouldn’t live more than two years even with surgery and chemotherapy and radiation.
In fact the doctor who did the surgery on him said he would not have gone in had he realized it was so bad. Still he cut away what he could and my pastor underwent Chemotherapy.
My pastor admitted he was down when he first got the news but he said he realized that he served a great and loving God and that His will would prevail.
He took comfort in the fact that God had been there for him in the good times and would now be with him in the bad. And he would be content with God’s will being done in his life.
His trust was well founded. Today five years later they cannot find the cancer and he gives the praise to God.
Talking privately with him he told me that as a Christian he was in a win, win situation. That with Christ as his saviour he knew where his eternal resting place was. That he would go to heaven. Where there was no more suffering and pain.
At the same time if God had more for him to do here on earth God would heal him and let him continue in his ministry and be with his family.
This is how we all should be. We should draw near to God not only in the bad times but in the good time.
Jesus said,
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” 
                                            Matthew 11:28-30.
What Jesus is saying is true. If we put our trust in Christ. If we truly love God he will be there for us both in good times and in bad.
Do you trust God in the good times and bad?
Please think about it.

No comments: