Wednesday 9 December 2015

A time to Shine

Time to Shine
“What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?  
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.  
If one of you says to him, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?  
In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 
But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.  
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. 
You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?” 
                                                                                                        James 2:14-20.
As I write this in the United States presidential candidate Donald Trump has made another outrageous statement against Muslims. Saying they should be banned from entering the United States. I wonder if he would also extend it to the Muslims he’s partnering with in his businesses in the middle east?
Trump is showing himself to be a hypocrite and a bigot. The sad thing is people agree with him.
In all of this I’ve noticed an absence of the Christian Church. Christians are told by Jesus to Love God, your neighbour, and even your enemy. Yet from what I see from my vantage point here in Canada is silence from Christians in the United States.
Where are the leaders of the major denominations, the evangelical leaders, the leaders of the so called super churches. They should be acting. They should be speaking against Trump and others like him.
They should be reaching out to the Syrian refugees and others offering them a safe place to live in the name of Jesus.
In contrast to the seeming paranoia in the United States the Canadian government is bringing in at least 25,000 refugees. Over the next few months. It’s making them permanent residence which offers them all the opportunities Canada has to offer.
Christians and other faith groups here in Canada are reaching out to those coming with open arms.
The world refugee crisis is an opportunity for Christians to show love in a tangible way. At the very least this crisis is bringing those in need of the love of Christ to our doorsteps.
Tony Campolo said,
“These issues are biblical issues: to care for the sick, to feed the hungry, to stand up for the oppressed. I contend that if the evangelical community became more biblical, everything would change.”
       Tony Campolo.
This may very well be one of those important times in history. A time when we as Christians can shine. When we can show the world we care.
Jesus said,
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” 
                                                    Matthew 11:28-30.
Certainly those who are displaced by the current problems in the middle east are in need of the Love and rest for their souls.
Something that we as Christians can offer them in Christ Jesus.
Please think about it.

No comments: