Tuesday 19 April 2016

A Bold Belief

A bold belief
John’s Gospel records,
“Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?” 
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.  
If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.” 
Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.” 
Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?  
Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.  
Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves.”  
                                                        John 14:5-11.
The above quote from John’s gospel tells who Jesus is. Jesus talking to His disciples states,
“I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
Jesus goes on to say,
“Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father.”
“I am in the Father and the Father is in me:...”
These are bold statements. Jesus equates Himself with God something punishable by death in the time in which Jesus lived. Something Jesus was well aware of yet still equated Himself with God.
Jesus being God incarnate is a fundamental belief of Christianity. You cannot be a Christian and not believe this.
The writer of Hebrews states,
“The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.”
                                             Hebrews 1:3.
Note the writer of Hebrews states,
“The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being” 
Note also the writer says Jesus provided purification for our sins. The sins of the individual. The apostle Paul writing to the Romans said,
“Since we have now been justified by his blood (the blood of Jesus), how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him!  
For if, when we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!  
Not only is this so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.” 
                                         Romans 5:9-11.
There is no middle ground with Christianity. Either you believe Jesus is who he said he is or you do not. He is either the Son of God, Saviour of mankind, God incarnate, or He is not. You must decide.
C. S. Lewis said,
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
                                                  C. S. Lewis.
I as a Christian believe the decision you make about Jesus, has eternal implications.
Please think about it.

No comments: