Friday 15 April 2016

Someone said,

Someone said,
Someone said to me that I write and talk about love a lot when I speak about God. They are right. It’s because I believe in what Jesus said when asked,
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 
Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’  
This is the first and greatest commandment.  
And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’  
All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” 
                                                                                            Matthew 22:36-40.
Jesus also tells Christians,
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’  
But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,  that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.  
If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?  
And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?
  Matthew 5:43-47
I believe as a Christian it is my duty before God to show unconditional love to all people, even if I disagree with them.
Jesus speaking of himself tells Christians.
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.”
John 3:16,17.
It is my belief that if God loved mankind so much He gave us His one and Only Son then the least I can do is show love to those around me.
My parents who were not Christians brought me up to show love and kindness to all people. To help people wherever I could.
While they didn’t realize it they were obeying what Proverbs said,
“Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. 
Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.” 
                                                                                                      Proverbs 3:3,4.
My Father practiced what he preached and was well respected in his community as a result.
While a young teenager I went to see a move musical called Goodby Mr. Chips in it was a song by Leslie Bricusse that had an impression on me that still resonates with me to this day. It’s called In the morning of my life the words are,
In the morning of my life
I will look to the Sunrise
At a moment in my life 
When the world is new.    

And the Question
I shall ask only God can answer.
Will I be brave and strong and true,
Will I fill the world with love my whole life through?
Will I fill the world with love my whole life through?

In the evening of my life
I will look to the sunset
At a moment in my life 
When my life is through.

And the question I shall ask only I can answer 
Was I brave and strong and true.
Did I fill the world with love my whole life through?
Did I fill the world with love my whole life through?
                                                                                                   By Leslie Bricusse  
                                                                             From the Musical Good by Mr chips.
Since hearing that song I have become a Christian and realize that one cannot be a Christian without showing unconditional love for God, ones neighbours, and even ones enemies. That is what Christ did that is what all Christian must do.
Jesus said,
“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets” 
Matthew 7:12.
I believe one day we all will be held to account for our lives before God.
The Talmud while not recognized by Christians as an inspired work of God, tells a story I can see as happening when we stand before God. It says,
“When a man appears before the Throne of Judgment, the first question he is asked is not, “Have you believed in God?”  Or “Have you prayed and observed the ritual?  “He is asked: “have you dealt honourably and faithfully in all your dealings with your fellow men?”
                                                                                           The Talmud.
I believe by showing unconditional love as far as humanly possible to all people irrespective of who they are I could answer that question with a resounding yes.
Martin Luther King Jr. said,
“Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend.”
                                                                              Martin Luther King, Jr.
The Writer of Hebrews states
“Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.” 
Hebrews 12:14.
I believe by showing unconditional love to all those around me I am endeavouring to live at peace with men. I am endeavouring to live a holy life.
Are you?
Please think about it.

No comments: