Wednesday 1 June 2016

Christ's Prayer

Christ’s prayer

“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.  
I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 
“Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. 
“Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me.  
I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.” John 17:20-26.
Here we have hope for Christians.
Jesus here prays for not only his disciples but for all who would believe in Him through the actions of the disciples. In other words if you are a true Christian Jesus prayed this prayer for you.
Jesus prays for the unity of all believers saying.
“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.”
The purpose of that unity is that others may believe through the confession of our beliefs as Christians.
Christianity through the centuries has broken into many denominations all with various traditions and rituals. Traditions and rituals do not make a Christian. Core Christian values transcend denominations.
I believe the apostle Paul who wrote,
“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—  not by works, so that no one can boast.” Ephesians 2:8,9
Writing to the Romans Paul said,
That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.  
For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.  
As the Scripture says, “Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame.”  
For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him,  for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved
Romans 10:9-13
These are two basic conditions laid down by the Apostle Paul that one must believe in order to be a Christian.
The other basic Christian beliefs are summed up by the apostles creed. While it was not written by an apostle of Jesus. It was obviously written by a true believer because it summarizes what all Christians believe it states,
I believe in God the Father the almighty maker of heaven and earth
I believe in Jesus Christ God’s on and only Son, our Lord and Saviour.
 I believe Jesus was conceived by the Holy Ghost, and born of the Virgin Mary
 I believe Jesus suffered under Pontius Pilate; That He was Crucified, died, was buried. 
That he descended in hell.
 I believe He rose again on the third day from the dead.
I believe that he ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father almighty.
I believe Jesus will one day Judge the living and the dead.
 I believe in the Holy Ghost
I believe in the Church which is the communion of the saints,
 I believe in the forgiveness of sin.
I believe in the resurrection of the body.
I believe in life everlasting.
If you claim to be a Christian do you believe this?
Please think about it.
  

No comments: