Tuesday 28 June 2016

You and God

You and God
"I used to ask God to help me. Then I asked if I might help Him.  I ended up asking God to do His work through me." Hudson Taylor.
I think what Hudson Taylor said is true. Christians seem to go through various stages. The first is God help me. Many seem to stay here and see God as a servant or worse a “sugar daddy”. Someone to supply their needs.
If a Christian is truly progressing they then move on to the next step. They ask God if they can help Him as if God really needs help. Again many stay at this point. They wait for God’s reply and some do indeed help God in one way or another. Sadly however many wait their whole life waiting for God to ask them to help Him.
Again if Christians are truly progressing we go to the next step asking God to do His work through them.
It is only when we let God work through us that we can truly do His work.
Jesus just prior to his arrest and crucifixion while in the garden with his disciples said,
“Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.”  
Luke 22:42. 
The key words being “not my will but yours be done.”
Someone once said,
“Most people wish to serve God — but only in an advisory capacity.” Author Unknown.
We must, if we truly want to do God’s work, be willing to let God work through us no matter what He asks.
Sadly too many Christians are not willing to do this.
The writer of Proverbs tells us,
“Trust in the LORD with all your heart 
and lean not on your own understanding; 
in all your ways acknowledge him,
 and he will make your paths straight.”
Proverbs 3:5,6.
The disciples did this and look what they did. Billy Graham said of the disciples.
“The men who followed Him (Christ), were unique in their generation. They turned the world upside down because their hearts had been turned right side up. The world has never been the same.” Billy Graham.
We if we are willing to let God do His work through us can do the same.
Are you willing?
Please think about it.

No comments: