Thursday 9 June 2016

Do Something

Do Something!
Derek Prince an American evangelist said,
“A faith that does not result in activity of any kind is a dead faith; it is empty, worthless, insincere.” Derek Prince.
Prince was only echoing the words of James the half brother of Christ who wrote,
“What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?  
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.  
If one of you says to him, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?  
In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 
But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.  
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. 
You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?” James 2:14-20.
Our Faith as Christians should be driving us to do things for Christ. We may not be able to preach grand sermons, lead a bible study or go into the mission field but we can all do something.
I’m a now retired professional clown. While a clown I used my talent to witness for Christ. I always wore a button, at both secular events and Christian events that said, “Jesus Loves You” or “I love Sundays School”. The latter of which brought about some interesting comments opening doors for me to witness to both children and adults alike.
   I for many years also taught Sunday School. Some of the children I taught in those early years are now in their late thirties and early forties with Children of their own.
Once, when asked by an eight year old “what is a missionary?”, I replied half in jest. “A missionary is someone who wears a red nose and tells people about Jesus”. It is a statement I have never lived down.
Years later I was sitting in my car, dressed as a clown, having a break between performances when a young man in his late twenties came up to me and said, “You know a missionary is someone who wears a red nose and tells people about Jesus.”
That young man had been in that Sunday School class that day and twenty years later remembered what I said. He at the time was getting ready to go on the mission field.
While teaching Sunday School and now when I teach adults I tell them that they can all do something for Christ. I taught eight years olds that they may not know the bible very well but they can invite people out to Sunday School and Church and let the pastor or Sunday school teacher tell them about Jesus.
I told them they can visit nursing homes or rake leaves for their neighbour in the name of Jesus without expecting anything in return.
They can raise money for orphanages and schools in the third world. Here at home they can support food banks and other charities.
There is always something you can do in the name Christ.
James said,
“But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.”
 How are you showing your faith?
Please think about it.

No comments: