Wednesday 6 December 2017

Jesus on Jesus

Jesus on Jesus
The apostle John records Jesus as saying what amounts to his purpose in coming to earth.
“Then Jesus cried out, “When a man believes in me, he does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me.  
When he looks at me, he sees the one who sent me.  
I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. 
“As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it.  
There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day.  
For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it.  
I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.” John 12:44-50
Jesus states,
“When a man believes in me, he does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. When he looks at me, he sees the one who sent me.”John 12:44,45.
The writer of Hebrews states,
“The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.”  Hebrews 1:3.
Jesus is God incarnate, God in the flesh. The creator of the world who entered His creation to show men the way to heaven. To pay the price for the sins of each person who would believe in him. The apostle John in a later letter noting,
“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.  
If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.” 1John 1:9-10
John then notes in his gospel that Jesus states,
“As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it.” John 12:47
Earlier in his gospel John records Jesus referring to himself as stating,
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.” John 3:16,17.
Jesus did not come into the world to judge the world. The express purpose for Jesus entering the world is save souls. To point mankind to eternal life with God.
Jesus however does note that people will one day be judged. He states,
“There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day.  
For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it.
I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.”  John 12:48-50
What Jesus is saying here in John 12:44-50 is an incredible statement. He not only equates himself to God but he also states that through faith in Him the individual can get to heaven.
Believers in Christ truly believe that through Jesus, God reached down to show man the way to heaven. That it is by God’s grace we enter heaven not our works. The apostle Paul noting,
“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—  not by works, so that no one can boast.” Ephesians 2:8,9.
If what Jesus said is untrue, if what Christians believe is false then no one has much to worry about.
On the other hand, if what Christians believe is true, and all that the New Testament says about Jesus is true, then those who do not believe in Jesus have a great deal to fear. For their unbelief has eternal consequences.
Please think about it.

No comments: