Saturday 30 December 2017

Your Shepherd

Your Shepherd
The Psalmist writes,
The LORD is my shepherd, 
I shall not be in want. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures, 
he leads me beside quiet waters, 
he restores my soul. 
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, 
I will fear no evil, for you are with me; 
your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. 
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, 
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. 
                                                                          Psalm 23
Is Jesus Christ the Shepherd of your life? The Lord of your life?
This time last year my wife and I had just come from visiting her sister Sheila. Sheila was suffering from terminal cancer that would claim her life by mid January. Not a very nice way some would say to end the old year and bring in the new year. And it may not have been were it not for the fact Sheila knew the Lord.
Sheila and my wife were not terribly close. Over the years she and we had moved around a lot. On top of everything Sheila had gone her own way and done her own thing. And frankly from time to time we had not see eye to eye. In fact her battles with the family in general were at times to say the least, intense.
Still she it was never enough to keep us apart. She was family and family was always welcome in our home and we in hers.
A few years before she received the cancer diagnosis things started to change in her life. She connected with God. She had made Jesus Lord of her life. God had become the Shepherd of her life, and her life truly began to change.
Sheila I believe had learned the meaning to what Jesus said,
Jesus said,
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, 
and I will give you rest.  
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, 
for I am gentle and humble in heart, 
and you will find rest for your souls.  
For my yoke is easy 
and my burden is light.”
                                              Matthew 11:28-30.
Never was this more noticeable than when we last saw her. She was truly a changed person. She was at peace with God and indeed all those around her.
It was evident to those around her that she knew exactly where she would be spending eternity.
While there were some tears at her passing as at any funeral. Those who knew Sheila were comforted by the fact she was in Heaven.
Question, Is Jesus the Lord of your life. Is God your Shepherd?
Have you found rest for your soul?
Please think about it.

No comments: